Monday, June 27, 2011

I left my heart in San Francisco

 
source
source
source

The first time I vacationed in SF over 10 years ago, I knew that it was the place I was meant to be. It was so amazing to see so much love and acceptance of difference and change. As soon as summer was over after graduation, I packed up and moved to the big beautiful city. I was in love! I lived in the heart of the city in a big Victorian house, I got to see my baby brother everyday (I moved in with him and his adopted parents) and there was endless amounts of fresh organic yums to eat. 
Only one thing was missing. I had fallen in love with Jesse during the summer and had to leave him behind to follow my dreams. It was hard, but we made it work. He would come and visit at least once a month and I never felt happier.

Soon things got difficult for me again. I was attending community college way across town from where we lived and it could only get into night classes. During the day taking public transportation is no problem, but at night it's a whole other story. On two different occasions I was sexually assaulted and one time I was followed home. I could deal with people trying to sell me drugs. I could deal with homeless people cursing at me. But this, I could not deal with. 

I feel like maybe I was just too young to be on my own like that. I came from such a small town and ended up in such a big city. So I moved back to Southern California and moved in with Jesse, (we were now engaged by this point) and started a new life here. I always hold San Fran so close to my heart, I still feel like I'm meant to be there. We've talked about moving back because I think it's the perfect place to raise kids since it's so diverse, so we shall see. 

WOW! It felt so good to share that, kinda like a weight off my shoulders :)
What's your dream city?

4 comments:

  1. I just got back from San Fran and I fell in love so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower from Fun Tuesday Hop.
    Hope you follow back. http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i live just outside sf! we are probably go ing to move to S CA soon! SF is a great place to visit but i wouldn't live there!

    following you from blog it forward hop!
    would love a follow back and say hellow
    http://www.bragallaboutit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to San Franciso one day. I haven't been to the West Coast at all. I guess I have a lot of travelling to do in the future.

    Do you have an entry you could direct me to that would tell me a little more about you? xx

    ReplyDelete